Make your own nature loom with this fun activity, the perfect way to weave your creativity into a piece of natural art. Let your creative side take over; think of different natural materials you could use. You could even try making a huge version as part of a group activity.
What you will need:
- 4x sticks
- Natural materials like long grasses, stems and flowers – remember to use fallen materials
How to make nature’s loom:
- Lay out your four sticks to create a square frame.
- Securely tie the four corners of your frame together using string.
- Tie a piece of string to the bottom left of your frame.
- Run the string up to the top stick, and loop around the top stick twice.
- Next, run your string back down to the bottom stick and loop around the bottom stick twice.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5, moving each run 1cm to the right.
- You now have your frame to weave.
- Take each strand of grass and weave under and over each string from one side to the other.
- Try to alternate for the next piece of grass – over and under all the way along.
- Once you’ve filled the loom with grass, secure some colourful objects into the design such as flowers.
- Hang up and admire.
Share photos of your loom using #DiscoverLearnPlay
This activity was developed as part of the Let’s Notice Nature initiative of Earn Your Stripes, in partnership with Scottish Badgers.