Bumblebees are important pollinators, but they need safe places to nest. Making a nest for bumblebees can make all the difference; it provides a much needed habitat and if lots of people do this, it creates a habitat network.
Help your local bumblebees by building an inviting spot in your garden following the instructions below.
What you will need:
- A terracotta flower pot (20cm – with a hole in the bottom)
- A trowel
- Dry grass or moss
How to build your bumblebee nest:
- Find a sheltered spot that gets some sun for about half the day – for example underneath a bush – and dig a hole that’s as wide as your pot and about half the depth as your pot.
- Fill the flowerpot with dry grass and/or moss.
- Turn the flowerpot upside down and place at angle into the hole so that the small hole in the bottom of the pot points out towards the sky.
- Check back in a few days to see if there are any bees flying in and out of your pot.
Let us know what you see using #DiscoverLearnPlay