Possil Marsh has a shallow freshwater loch surrounded by marsh, swamp and fen, with areas of willow scrub and grassland. The fen and swamp areas support locally rare plants and the reserve is also an important staging post during the spring and autumn migration for warblers and waterfowl.
- Fantastic views of wildfowl
- Explosions of colour from wildflowers
- User-friendly paths across the reserve
Best time to visit?
- May to Jul for breeding birds
- May to Aug for wildflowers
- Oct to Mar for wildfowl
Breeding birds on the reserve include reed buntings, moorhens and the secretive water rail.
There is a path, accessed from the Forth & Clyde towpath, around the perimeter of the reserve.