Save Our Magnificent Meadows is the UK’s largest partnership project transforming the fortunes of vanishing wildflower meadows, grasslands and wildlife.
The project is:
- targeting just under 6,000 hectares of wildflower meadows and grasslands in nine strategic landscapes across the UK.
- giving people all over the UK the chance to visit, enjoy and learn about our wildflower meadows and grasslands.
- raising awareness of the desperate plight of wildflower meadows and grasslands and equipping communities with the knowledge and skills to reverse this devastating trend.
Led by Plantlife, the partnership is made up of 11 organisations and is primarily funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
What are we doing?
The Scottish Wildlife Trust element of the project includes the sustainable management of nine of our wonderful grassland reserves in Fife, Falkirk, West Lothian, South Lanarkshire and Edinburgh. Save Our Magnificent Meadows is also helping us develop our flock of sheep and herd of rare breed Shetland cattle that play such an important role in managing our grassland sites.
How to get involved
You can get involved in Save Our Magnificent Meadows in a variety of ways:
- Take part in a plant or animal monitoring survey
- Help us celebrate National Meadows Day
- Visit a meadow or event taking place near you
- Help out at public events being organised in your area
- Join a conservation work party in your local area
- Take part in the National Meadows Photography Competition – see the Magnificent Meadows website for more detail
- If you are a school or community group and have been restoring or creating a meadow you can take part in the Meadows Awards scheme